Saturday, March 07, 2009

So it has been a while, again, since my last post. That should be an indicator to all that things with Ian are going well.

He and I went to Atlanta for a follow-up last week, and it was good. We got into Atlanta late Tuesday night and stayed in a hotel. It was kind of fun to get out with just Ian and go, but we also missed Elaine and Livy (though even a king-size bed would have been crowded with that many people). Ian is now on a month schedule, meaning he needs to return to Atlanta only once a month. He's doing fantastic!

Until today. We're in the car out running errands, all of us, when Ian tells us his nose hurts. We look, and sure enough, his nose is running like the New River after a heavy rainstorm. As we start to probe, he readily admits to us that he has shoved a raisin up his nose. Great. Just what we needed. We get home, and we try to get it out any way we can. He blows his nose. We use a bulb syringe (aka snot sucker), all to no avail. We cannot even see the thing, but Ian is insistent that its in there. We call his doctor, and they tell us to find either a nearby urgent care place or go to the emergency room. It is already 7:00 PM, mind you, and this is certainly not how I had planned to spend my Saturday evening.

Off to the ER we go, Ian and I. We get there, get checked in, and in just a couple minutes, we are taken back to a room. Ian and I dig into some snacks that Elaine sent with us. Soon after, in comes the physician's assistant (PA). She cannot see it either, but she explains what we're going to try after Ian unsuccessfully tries to blow it out again (he's quite good at blowing his nose, btw). So, we get in position (an orderly or nurse comes in to help), and she holds his left nostril closed (the raisin is in his right nostril), and I basically give him a puff of air through his mouth ala mouth-to-mouth. I failed to anticipate the mess that would come out of his nose. My left cheek is now coated in Ian's snot. All I can do is start laughing so I don't throw up. The raisin did not come out (WTF!!!?? (where F=Freak)). The PA is laughing with me (probably so she doesn't throw up). She looks, and she still cannot see the raisin. Out she goes to consult the doctor. I console Ian, because he sure didn't like me blowing all that air into his mouth and is now crying rather fiercely. I sign some papers so that our visit can get filed with insurance.

Soon, here comes the doctor and the PA. They ask me if I'm sure he shoved a raisin into his nose. I assure them that Ian would not lie to me about this, since our idea of fun does not include a trip to the ER. I get a skeptical look, but they look amused, too. The doctor cannot see the raisin. We agree to try the puff of air again. Yours truly is again the puffer/billows. This time, at least I'm ready for the snot-blow that is going to hit my face, but this time they tell me we're going to do both nostrils. They close the left nostril. I puff and catch it all on my cheek again. No raisin. They ask if I want to wipe off. I don't see much point in this since we are going to do it again. They close the right nostril. I puff. Same amount of snot comes out of that nostril, again, coating my cheek. Still no raisin. They don't believe me at this point that its still in there because they still cannot see it. I handle a volley of questions, including about his runny nose. Now, Ian has had a cold for a bit, so there was some runniness there already, but since the raisin has gone in, the flow has increased greatly, and he says it hurts. I do not doubt my son.

The doctor determines to refer it to the ENT and we can go on Monday to see them. Fine, whatever, as I finally have a chance to wipe off my face. I use soap and water. Ian's face needs wiped, so I wipe it and have him blow his nose one more time. He really lets the nose-blow fly, and something hits me in the chest, and rolls down my shirt. There's that blasted raisin! I call the doctor back in (they were still walking away consulting). They come in to make sure he got it all, and sure enough it is a whole raisin. I'll post pics on Facebook tomorrow. Of the raisin, not me with snot on my face. There are no pics of that, thank goodness. I asked for a jar to keep the raisin.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Blogger M and B said...

Brett, you are hilarious!

 
At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bahahaha. Awesome story!

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Nick said...

hahahahaha that's great!
Beats all of my visits to the ER.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home