Saturday, January 03, 2009

Recovery Day 17...

and we are still in the hospital. We'll be here at least until Monday. They are still working to get Ian's Prograf levels correct, and he received two boluses of fluids by IV today. Note to the general public: chocolate milk may not be enough to hydrate you by itself. :) Thankfully and amazingly, Ian may be about chocolate milked out. Never thought I'd see that day. He still drinks it some, but seems to be losing interest. His interest in water has increased, which is good, since that's what he needs most right now.

So, there was, I suppose, a little disappointment that we didn't leave the hospital, but at the same time, I had planned on it actually be Monday at the earliest anyway, so I wasn't expecting to leave, just hoping. Ian was okay with staying, too, it seems. He was great today. Anyway, I'd rather stay in the hospital a bit longer and decrease our chances of needing to come back. Regardless, when we do leave, I need a few days of freedom from these walls to re-establish my sanity. :)

Ian did very well with his meds today (the threat to call Santa Claus about it continues to be effective) and he was also awesome for his ultrasound this morning, even though we didn't know the technician (we've seen most of them by now). He laid still and was fantastic. When we came back upstairs, we ordered his breakfast (waffles replaced pancakes today) and then snuggled together on my bed until his breakfast arrived. Elaine and her mother came shortly after he started breakfast (and Livy, of course), so I got a little more rest. They stayed a couple hours then left, returning later in the day. When they returned, Ian had been asleep next to me for about an hour and half after lunch, just resting nicely. My family will be tickled to know that Ian sweats a lot when he sleeps, just like I used to. The nurse came and took his vitals and disconnected the first IV bolus and mentioned that he seemed sweaty in spite of not being covered. I assured her that this was normal for him. We just spent the day playing, mostly, or relaxing in my case (I get some downtime typically when Elaine and Grandma are here).

Hmm... the nap may not have been good for Ian. It is nearly 10 pm now and he's still awake. Go to sleep, buglet!

Nonetheless, I am grateful to be going through this now. I still have to pinch myself every once in a while to make sure this is all actually happening. Though we had prepared for it, it doesn't necessarily mean we can believe it is happening. We look forward to this next phase in our lives...

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home