Thursday, December 25, 2008

Recovery Day 8...

and a Merry Christmas to all! It was a very interesting day today.

It started where yesterday ended... with Ian awake for no reason. He originally woke up around 4 am and thought it was time to go. I convinced him that it was still much too early to be up since we couldn't even order his breakfast. He slept on and off for the next four hours. Once they came in for the ultrasound, sleep was done (they do an ultrasound every morning right now). We ordered his breakfast and got much of the hospital type stuff out of the way. Dr. Heffron came by, and told us his white blood cell count was a bit elevated, but probably no concern. He added another IV antibiotic to combat any problem that might be there, but Ian is having no issues with infection that they can tell.

Before Dr. Heffron came, we received a visit from Santa Claus, who brought a teddy bear to Ian that had been left in the sleigh. There was apparently some issues with sleigh oversight as Santa brought lots of bears... enough for the hospital. We took a picture. As Santa was making his way down the hall toward Ian's room, Ian could hear the jingle bells on his boots. He was a great medicine taker, because I told him if he wasn't, Santa might take back the toys that had been left the night before. He had them gone in just a few minutes. That might not be the best means of getting Ian to take medicine, but it worked well. Dr. Heffron was also pleased, and told Ian that he could have his NG tube removed today! This was awesome news since I had, even last blog, anticipated it wouldn't come out earlier than New Year's. Tomorrow or Saturday, Ian should finish up some other medicines that require he be here in PICU, and allow him to move off PICU either Saturday or Sunday. This is great news. He has requested checkerboard pizza for a meal when he moves.

Elaine showed up a bit later, and Christmas morning commenced. We got Ian onto the floor and let him rifle through his stocking, then we moved on to gifts. As I mentioned, I think, last post we had a special bag of stuff from Santa dropped last night. It was truly wonderful. It was full of Thomas the Train stuff and a few games and things of that nature. We also get to take the bag itself with us as it was hand made and is quite nice. Good stuff.

Elaine and I gave Ian a bunch more engines for Thomas the Train and a carrying case for the engines. It was a big hit. Ian played with the engines for some time, then he got tired. He got back up on the bed and ate some lunch, half-way asleep throughout. During lunch, Thrash (the mascot) from the Atlanta Thrashers showed up with gifts. Ian was a bit freaked out by this very large, mean-looking bird, but he accepted the gift. When we opened it, it was a jersey, a collectible statue of the goalie, and a few other odds and ends. I think I was more excited about it than he was. Shortly thereafter, and still during lunch, another family arrived with a wagon full of stuffed animals for the kids. I don't know who the family is, but one of their children was in the PICU here and now they do this every year, bringing stuffed animals to those onthe floor during Christmas. Ian selected a Curious George... not because it was Curious George, but because he wanted a monkey. Well, by this time, sleep is gone from Ian, which is in some ways good because he was wiped by bed time. Yet another item arrived about an hour later, this time a bok of portable games, including Candyland, which is one of Ian's favorites.

Elaine came back later in the afternoon and I slipped out to eat. When I came back, the floor had had another visitor, which I had missed and I was very disappointed. I'm a huge baseball fan, and I appreciate what the players do with the physical gifts they have. This particular visitor is a member of the Atlanta Braves pitching staff, and I've always appreciated him as a player, even from his days in an Oakland A's uniform. As I was walking back to Ian's room, I passed this guy, and thought, that guy sure does look like Tim Hudson... and with good cause. It was Tim Hudson. I didn't want to run out and talk to him, because he was talking to some other people at the time. I was sad I had missed him, but he and his family had left a toy with Ian. Shortly thereafter, Ian's nurse came back leading none other than Tim Hudson (she and I had talked earlier about baseball a bit, so she knew I was very interested in meeting players). He is a truly nice guy. We talked a bit about his rehab and Ian's surgery, and I told him we'd watch for when he was returning to the rotation so we could come and watch him pitch. He gave us autographs, personalizing one for Ian, and shook my hand again. Not only do I appreciate the physical gifts of athletes, I also appreciate how they are able to walk into a room and lift the spirits of those in the room because of what they do. In that respect, I am still very much a boy at heart. I truly appreciate those athletes that go out of their way to use their position and, of course, the money they make, to help brighten the day of those around them. Why wouldn't you do that as an athlete??

That got me thinking a bit more... you don't have to be an athlete to help brighten the day of kids in a hospital on Christmas. Tim Hudson's visit was a bigger deal to me than it was to Ian, probably mostly because of me being old enough to appreciate and love baseball (though I expect Ian will become a Braves fan, which is fine with me). The bigger deals to him were seeing people come and bring him something, even though he had never seen them before and may never see them again. We don't know their names, but they have the wonderful reward of doing a great service for sick children. Can there be a better feeling?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home