Thursday, December 18, 2008

So, with surgery yesterday, today is Recovery Day 1.

Ian had the breathing tube removed around 8:00 AM and he has been awake quite a bit, but is still doing a lot of sleeping. He is, naturally, not overly comfortable, but they are leaving some of his medicine on for pain relief that works nicely to help him sleep. As I write this, he is sleeping. He's been a champ. They've let him have water to drink (though they are sucking it back out through his NG tube), but it helps to soothe his throat and it helps him feel lots better. He actually wants to sit up and move around a lot already, which is great.

I spoke with the doctors earlier, and they reminded me that although things are looking great, this is like an airplane ride. Smooth right now, but leave the seat belt on just in case. As a point of reference, one of the numbers they watch went up a bit this morning, so they are adjusting medication accordingly. The next set of labs will tell us more, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

Elaine continues also to be a trooper, perhaps moreso than I. She is in the process of getting home to get some things taken care of and to get her car. She'll return to Atlanta tomorrow. I believe her parents are planning to assist with the return here, but we have asked that they not come see Ian while he is in PICU. For one reason, only two people may be in his room at a time. For the second reason, with all the tubes and connections he has right now, I just don't want people to remember him that way. I'd rather they remember him after he leaves PICU with far fewer tubes and I don't think its fair to Ian either. I suppose I could always change my mind, but probably not. :)

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home